smashed bananas

Favorite vicitm of the flummox caused by perpetual existential malaise. I am disenchanted with 99% of the meaningless things that clutter our universe.

Monday, April 19, 2010

Bloggy Nights


Had a good Monday. Started by a jet-lag induced 6:45 am wake up, followed by lazy email checking and a quick Globe headline scan: Twitterati and volcanic delays aren't really my bag, baby. 7:20 am brought about the elephants upstairs, which precipitated the input of my foamy earplugs and an arduous climb back into bed. Next thing I know it's 1:30 pm.

Decided to check out Mitte, which is the posh area of town.  Popped into a few stores, but nothing fit my body nor my budget so came home empty handed.  A coffee-induced buzz led me to go for yet another run along the canal which was beautiful.  The Berliners really are an outdoorsy folk.

Whenever the temperature swells above -10, they flock to the banks of the nearest canal, infiltrate the patchwork of public bacci courts, volksparks or the Spree, and enjoy the weather. Nice as it is to pass cluster after cluster of chain smoking Berliners with various types of beer in hand, sometimes I just want to stop running and join in.  Many people bring little grills along to cook up mini-feasts, which I don't have to tell you is a double-edged sword.  In Kreuzberg, the Turkish influence on the grill is palpable; kebabs both inspire and discourage the continuation of exercise and my cadence always seems to reflect this inner tension.  Needless to say, Berlin continues to be a flummoxing melange of progression and frustration.

After a rewarding day of urban expedition, I decided to treat myself to a nice dinner out. Equipped with my latest political science acquisition and a pack full of cigarettes, I elected to check out one of the many inviting patios I'd passed on said runs. I arrived around 8 p.m. and seated myself on the leafy patio which overhangs the cobblestone promenade and further, the canal. I settle in. Five. Ten. Fifteen. Twenty. Thirty minutes pass and still no service. Am I that obvious? Does no one dine out alone anymore!?

Part II coming tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger gazeta said...

where the fuck is your profile?

2:19 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home